Friday, December 18, 2009

Zululand!

We decided to take another short stint in South Africa to try to see the Leatherback turtles lay eggs and hatch. A good area to do so is on the northeastern coast of S. Africa right by the border of Mozambique. So we rented a car and headed towards Sodwana Bay.

We walked up and down this beach at night to see the turtles, but it wasn’t to be.  We made the most of our trip though because we serendipitously found “Coral Divers”, a true divers camp and Anita learned to scuba dive!

IMG_2155

 IMG_2156 

This is Anita – I absolutely loved it. It’s absolutely amazing what the ocean has to offer. The fish were so beautiful and colorful, but the corals were spectacular. It was a totally new sensation and it took me a second to realize that I am fine breathing under water. Once I was over that hump it was paradise. The only bad thing was that I got terribly nauseous on the boat out and back.

Here she is just after her preparation course.  I have to say she was a natural at scuba diving (I am certified and she was teaching me things). 

IMG_3448

And here is our high class accommodations at Coral Divers. And I think I am cutie…

IMG_2167

On the way to Jo’burg we stopped somewhere and came across the King and Queen of the Universe contest. Here are some pictures of their trial run.

IMG_3451

IMG_3453

That night we flew to Dubai. We will post some pictures from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment